Cine Projector 1896
Cine projector "The Eragraph" made by Haydon and Urry.
Patents: The company first applied for a patent on their cinematograph (No 3572) on 10 February 1896 (receiving provisional protection only). A second application for a patent (20296) was made on 3 September 1896 (again receiving provisional protection only). This machine appears to have been the "New Model Eragraph" which was advertised on 4 December 1896 in 'The Era'. Both of the patents were submitted under the names of George Haydon and Haydon and Urry Ltd.
History: After 1899, Haydon and Urry appears to have given up both on the manufacture of cinematographic equipment as well as on its film activities and returned once again to its production of automated equipment such as penny-in-the-slot machines. The company was reorganised at the beginning of 1900, and a new company formed under the name of Automatic Machines Ltd. The new company acquired the patent rights to the Eragraph as well as to the manufacturing plant and stocks of film.
Two other examples are known, one in the Science Museum UK and one in the Barnes Museum of cinemaphotography in England.
The present example on offer is a completely new previously unknown example which turned up 'out of the woodwork' to coin a phrase. The Eragraph was aimed at travelling showmen so perhaps it is not so suprising that one should appear outside normal cinema circles. This example has the serial number "47" stamped between the plates and is left blank after "Pat No" on the engraved name plate indicating a very early example.
Condition. Note: any interested buyer should email me before attempting to buy this.
In general the condition of this machine is excellent. It is very robustly made and the mechanism works perfectly - one could easily run a 32 mm film through it right away. The main fault is the loss of the top part of one of the arms on the top of the projector which holds the film (about two inches missing). Also missing is a small round plate secured by two bolts which fits on the middle of the front plate to act as an end bearing for the centre drive shaft. (The projector runs without it quite easily).
Much of the original lacquor is present.
Focusing is by a lens positioned between the plates.
This is the earliest cine projector ever offered for sale by Early Technology being introduced the year following the demonstrations of cinephotography by the Lumière brothers (1895). The opportunity to aquire such an early example in virtually complete working condition must now be increasingly rare.
More like this: